• Satish Rai banned for life: Nineteen months after he tested positive for a second time in
his career, the Indian Weightlifting Federation has imposed a life ban on weightlifter
• Raj Babbar joins Congress: Babbar who won the seat on a Samajwadi Party ticket in
2004 had quit two years later after he raised the banner of revolt against its general
secretary Amar Singh.
• Lakshmi N. Mittal was elected Chairman of the World Steel Association (formerly
International Iron and Steel Institute), representing about 180 steel producers from across
• Kapil: The Government had recently appointed Kapil Dev as an honorary Lieutenant-
Colonel in the Territorial Army and named him a brand ambassador to attract new talent
to the defence forces.
• Rohini Bhate passes away: Veteran Kathak dancer-guru Rohini Bhate died in Pune.
Rohini Bhate was among the senior most Kathak exponents of the country and a Fellow of
Sangeet Natak Akademi.
• Montgomery gets five year prison term: Former Olympic champion and tracks star Tim
Montgomery was sentenced to five years in prison on heroin charges in Virginia.
• Ahtisaari wins Nobel Peace Prize: Finland’s ex-president Martti Ahtisaari received the
Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to build a lasting peace from Africa and Asia to Europe
and the Middle East. “The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided to award the Nobel
Peace Prize for 2008 to Martti Ahtisaari for his important efforts, on several continents and
over more than three decades, to resolve international conflicts.
• Paul Krugman wins Nobel: Paul Krugman won the Nobel prize for economics for his
analysis of trade patterns and location of economic activity.
• Mazor Itika Suri is the only woman peacekeeper among t he 4,554- strong Indian
contingent in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
|toolbar powered by Conduit|